Described by the critics as being one of the most unique, sophisticated and beautifully drawn characters on TV ever, Archie’s EMMY Award- winning performance of the provocative KALINDA SHARMA on CBS’s hit show THE GOOD WIFE, continues to be a fan favorite with viewers and critics alike. In 2011, Archie was named as One of the Eight Master Performers Who turn Television into Art by THE NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE. In 2013 Archie was nominated for a Golden Globe.
Many attribute the success of Panjabi’s multi award- winning performances to her method like and attention to detail approach. Ridley Scott described her as “An unusual talent; she is smart and sensitive an actress to make anything fly”.
Archie made her film debut as tomboy football mad MEENAH KHAN in the critically acclaimed and hugely popular film EAST IS EAST which received a 10 minute standing ovation at Cannes and won a BAFTA for Best film in 2000.
Archie went onto to star in the international hit, BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM. It was nominated for a BAFTA and GOLDEN GLOBE, and Archie was awarded a BBC Mega Mela for her performance. Archie then went onto to work with Ralph Fiennes in the John Le Carre novel THE CONSTANT GARDENER. The film was nominated for 10 BAFTAS and won an OSCAR.
In her next film role, Archie was cast at the lead in the award –winning YASMIN, written by the Oscar winning writer of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, Simon Beaufoy. Archie’s performance was internationally praised and she was awarded numerous Best Actress Awards including one from the prestigious Berlin International Film Festival.
In 2006 Ridley Scott cast her as Gemma, Russell Crowe’s scene stealing, mischievous and savvy assistant in 20th Century Fox comedy “A GOOD YEAR” an adaptation of Peter Mayle’s popular novel.
In 2007 Michael Winterbottom cast Archie alongside Angelina Joilie in “A Mighty Heart, based on the true story of Wall Street writer Daniel Pearl. Archie went on to win The Chopard Trophy for her performance at The Cannes Film Festival in 2007.
Archie is dedicated to philanthropic endeavors globally. She has joined forces with Rotary International, UNICEF and The Gates Foundation, for the ”We are this Close” international campaign to help eradicate polio, as well as Amnesty International to head their Stop Violence Against Women campaign.
Panjabi graduated from Brunel University in England with a degree in Management Studies and was last year bestowed with an Honorary Doctorate of Letters. She was also recently participated in the very prestigious Artist in Residence Programe in Harvard University.
Archie was born in London, spent part of her childhood in Mumbai and currently resides in New York. Her motto:
“Just like Bogie — and just like Bacall: that’s the secret of Kalinda Sharma. She’s a mash-up of film noir archetypes (and gender roles),both gumshoe and femme fatale, tough broad and heartbroken sap. Panjabi takes a genre cliche — the combination of hard shell and tender interior — and redeems it by maintaining a constant but perfectly poised intensity, one whose tight control only emphasizes its operatic force.”
– Mike Hale. The New York Times.
- Won BBC Mega Mela Award for Personality of The Year Award, 2002 (Bend It Like Beckham)
- Nominated for Royal Televison Society Best Actress Award, 2003 (Grease Monkeys)
- Won Prix Ciné Femme Award for Best Actress in a Film at The Mons International Festival of Love Films, 2004 (Yasmin)
- Won Berlin Film Festival Shooting Star Award for best performance in a film , at Berlin Film Festival, 2005 (Yasmin)
- Won Reims International Best Actress Award at The Reims International Festival, 2006 (Yasmin)
- Won Chophard Trophy Award for a Breakout Performance by an Actress at The Cannes Film Festival, 2007 (A Mighty Heart)
- Won Primetime Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in A Drama Series, 2010 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble Cast, 2010 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Satellite Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini Series or TV Movie, 2010 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Primetime Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in A Drama Series, 2011 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble Cast, 2011 (The Good Wife)
- Won Image Award on for a Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, 2012 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Primetime Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in A Drama Series, 2012 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble Cast, 2012 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Image Award on for a Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, 2013 (The Good Wife)
- Nominated for Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini Series or TV Movie, 2013.